book... Pain Erasure the Bonnie Prudden Way





I first learned about trigger points when I came across a copy of the book Pain Erasure The Bonnie Pruden Way. Although somewhat dated since its first publication in 1980, this is a great book. I don't remember why I picked up the book, but I do remember my astonishment when I discovered my own trigger points, how much they hurt when I pressed on them, and how good it felt when they released.
Bonnie Prudden has probably done more to "spread the word" that people can treat their own trigger points then any other individual.

In 1976, Bonnie Prudden was working in conjuction with Dr. Desmond Tivy to help people who were sufferering chronic muscular pain. At that time, Dr. Tivy was offering the standard treatment option to his patients, trigger point injection therapy.
Trigger point injection therapy involves locating trigger points and injecting them with a solution of saline and procaine. This is a very effective treatment, but it requires a visit to the Doctor's office.

Prudden would assist Dr. Tivy by locating and marking trigger points on her clients before sending them for treatment. Purely by chance, Bonnie discovered that simply appying specific pressure to a trigger point can relieve the pain.

This serendipitous discovery led Prudden to begin teaching others how to locate and release trigger points, a modality she dubbed Myotherapy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home